The National Gallery of Ireland was established by an Act of Parliament in August 1854 (the “1854 Act”). Since then there have been a number of subsequent amending Acts providing for the administration of the institution which is vested in a Board of Governors and Guardians. The Board has up to seventeen members in total and meets at least six times a year with sub-committees meeting more frequently.
The most recent legislation concerning the Gallery is the National Cultural Institutions Act, 1997.
An autonomous National Cultural Institution, the Gallery operates under the aegis of the Department of Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht Affairs.